Pendleton Cattle barons Buckaroo BBQ Challenge
IN Pendleton, OR
EVENT DATE: Saturday April 30th 2022Registration Deadline - Thursday April 30rd, 2022
QUALIFIER? - As this is a fully sanctioned 3-meat event, this should be a Jack and American Royal qualifier if we have at least 25 teams turning in ALL entries.
The organizers have made this year's event even bigger and better for the competitors! Larger prize pool, categories paid to 6th place, Low $100 entry fee, meats except for chicken are supplied by the organizer and sponsors (see below), room for more teams, and organizers that really care about putting on a great event for the teams, judges, and attendees.
You will be supplied with 2 trimmed tri-tip roasts from Painted Hills. Painted hills is a regional Oregon natural and grass fed meat producer. If you participated in 2021, the provided tri-tip was deemed excellent by our teams. You can use the provided tri-tip for either or both of competition turn-in and the people's choice awards. If you want more tri-tip for peoples choice, you are welcome to bring your own.
You will also receive 3 racks of Baby Back Ribs from Hill Meat Company – a local company with regional distribution that has an excellent reputation. These must be used as your competition meat for turn-in for a level playing field. No outside meats allowed - and you won't be vending ribs.
You will supply your own chicken as usual. You won't be vending chicken.
People’s Choice Awards:
• 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies will be provided and there may be a small cash prize from the organizer which does NOT come out of the BBQ prize pool.
• The organizer is supplying 2 beef Tri-tips to each team for the People’s Choice Awards. The People’s Choice Awards are judged by participants purchasing tokens which supplies funds for agricultural scholarships. The teams with the most votes win the awards. The venue typically sells 300-400 Peoples Choice buttons for sampling each year so plan accordingly with samples.
• NOTE: The People’s Choice Awards tasting runs from 1pm – 2:30pm. Tri-Tip turn-in is at 1pm and chicken turn-in is at 2 pm so please be aware of the overlap.
There is NO vending at this event, but everyone is required to participate in the People's Choice award between 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm. During that time, you will serve a sample of Tri-tip to anyone with a People's Choice Pin.Event Sponsor:
• Cattle Barons Buckaroo BBQ
• Organizer: Cattle Barons Buckaroo BBQ, BBQ Manager, Kristen Dollarhide, firstname.lastname@example.org
• PNWBA Head Judges: Steve Rubin & Jane Biehl
Contact info: Steve Rubin (206) 412-0877 cell / message / text. Email: email@example.com
Prize Pool:$5,000 Total Prize Pool
Grand Champion - $1,025
Reserve Grand Champion - $750
Category 1st Place - $300
Category 2nd Place - $250
Category 3rd Place - $200
Category 4th place - $150
Category 5th place - $100
Category 6th place - $75
- Beef Tri-Tip
- Pork Ribs (Baby Backs)
Load in times:
• Starting at 6am on Saturday, April 30, 2022. Ends at 9am unless prior arrangements are made. If prior arrangements are made with the organizer, you can load in on Friday evening.
Site Inspections:• 8-9:30am on Saturday, April 30, 2022.
Load out times:
• Starting at 6pm on Saturday April 30, 2022 – AFTER Awards Ceremony.
REQUIRED Cook’s Meeting:
• 10 am on Saturday, April 30, 2022.
(Window is 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after)
• 1:00 pm – Tri-tip
• 2:00pm – Chicken
• 3:00pm – Baby back pork ribs
For safety, the following requirements must be followed:
PNWBA competitors and judges will be required to follow any local masking, vaccination or gathering mandates. If any happen to be in place at the time of the event, we will notify you.
Please view the Cook Rules located here. Each site will be inspected to meet these requirements. We also recommend all teams, especially new teams, visit this page for more info.
• Not allowed except taste samples of tri-tip for the People’s Choice Award judging between 1pm and 2:30pm on Saturday April 30, 2022.
Entry fee is $100.00 USD. A designated amount of $8.00 from the entry fee is non-refundable to cover payment and event processing expenses. In the event of a cancellation by the event coordinator, $92.00 will be refunded from the entrants payment.
• Will be provided by the venue – please notify them in advance if it’s required.
Ash / Trash / Grey Water / Grease disposal:
• Provided by Venue. For grease, please cool before placing in trash.
Pendleton Convention Center
Pendleton, OR 97801
Set up spots arranged by the venue.