BIG SMOKE IN LITTLE KALAMA
IN KALAMA, WA
EVENT DATE: JUNE 24th through 25th, 2023
Registration Deadline – June 16th, 2023
This is a fully sanctioned traditional 4 meat PNWBA event located in Kalama's Haydu Park.
QUALIFIER? - This should be a Jack and American Royal qualifier if we have at least 25 teams turning in ALL entries.Event Management:
- Organizer: Rose Scattergood
- PNWBA Board Representative: Bill Stock
- PNWBA Head Judges: Steve Rubin & Jane Biehl
Event Sponsors: Wilcox + Flegel, Steelscape, United Rental, Jacob Environmental Services, Brand Safway, Fibre Federal Credit Union, and Cascade NW Consulting.
PNWBA BBQ Prize Pool:
- Grand Champion - $1,190
- Reserve Grand Champion - $910
- 1st - $250
- 2nd - $225
- 3rd - $200
- 4th - $175
- 5th - $150
- 6th - $100
- 7th - $75
- 8th - $50
- Pork Ribs
IRS W-9 Forms:
The person payable from each team must have a completed W-9 on file with the PNWBA filed on our electronic W-9 service during the 2022 season prior to competing at this event.
Load in times:
12:00 PM Friday 6/23 to 9:00 AM Saturday 6/24
- Early Saturday Morning June 24th prior to vending
REQUIRED Cook’s Meeting:
- Saturday, June 24th at 12:00 PM - 1 member from each cook team required to attend, no exceptions.
EXTRA Category - Anything Dessert - No Entry FeeTurn-In Time: 3:00 PM Saturday, June 24th.
Rules for Anything Dessert:
- Any fuel source is acceptable.
- Open garnish with sturdy entry tray/platter limited to 20"x20". No live animals, fire, or tippy (you will have to carry entry across a very crowded venue) presentations allowed. Skewers, toothpick, etc. are allowed, but mist be visible. Served whole or 6 individual plated entries allowed.
- Entries are not guaranteed to be served in order of arrival at the turn-in table. If your entry requires it to remain at a constant temperature (heat or cold) during the judging process, that source must be provided by you and must not interfere with showing and serving of the entry. Suggested source for heat would be hot pack or similar and suggested source for cold would be dry ice or cold pack.
Prize for Anything Dessert:HotShot smokeless fire pit.
Event swag and bragging rights.
Special Notes to Teams
Any team requiring more than 20 amps need to bring their own QUIET generator.
By registering for this event, you consent to the PNWBA sharing your contact information (phone & email) to the organizer (Rose Scattergood) of this event regarding updates on parking, power or other issues for this event only. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book.
Vending FULL MEAL Details:
Still room for anyone interested in vending all day Saturday & Sunday. If you are interested in vending full meals on both days, please contact Rose Scattergood at email@example.com. 75/25 split for teams doing full meal vending. $2 tokens will be sold at this event so price your items accordingly.
All teams are HIGHLY encouraged to sample. The split if 75/25 with 75 going to the teams. Teams not sampling may be placed in the gravel parking lot, separate from the public event depending on number of teams and space in the arena. Food samples should be 2 ounces for $2.00 and 4 oz for $4.00 maximum. Teams that are vending/sampling must have at least one member with a valid Washington State Health Card. Teams selling samples are required to have a dedicated person available to sell samples even during turn-in times. The event is selling tokens for this event. Please have a container available to hold them in. Handwritten signs are allowed.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT REQUIREMENTS:The local health department has agreed to use the forms from Tacoma-Pierce County (same as used at Spring Fair). You will receive one by email once you have registered for the event. Fill out the Health Department menu declaration and signature of head cook IF vending/sampling. Teams that are vending/sampling must have at least one member with a valid Washington State Health card.
Send completed forms to Rose Scattergood at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 9th. DO NOT WAIT - get them in now if you plan to vend/sample!
- Awards on Sunday June 25th at 5:00pm (or earlier if processing completes earlier)
Load out times:
- Sunday, June 25th after the awards
Between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM
Turn-in Times on Sunday, June 25th:
- 10:55 am to 11:04:59 am – Pork
- 11:55 am to 12:04:59 pm - Brisket
- 12:55 pm to 1:04:59 pm - Chicken
- 1:55 pm to 2:04:59 pm - Ribs
Note that turn-in window is different for those who have competed in SCA events and turn-in order may be different than other organizations.Safety Requirements:
Current Covid safety protocols by the state, county and facility will be observed.Team Requirements:
Please review the Team Rules Page, even if you are an experienced team. Each site will be inspected to meet these requirements. If you are a new to competition BBQ team or new to PNWBA competitions, we recommend visiting our New Team Info page.
Entry fee is $195.00 USD and is non-refundable. In the event of a cancellation by the event coordinator, $182.50 will be refunded from the entrant’s payment. Regardless of the situation, a designated amount of $12.50 from the entry fee is non-refundable to cover payment and event processing expenses.
Entry Payment Due:
Entry fees must be paid at the time of registration.
Power - Teams mus bring their own extension cord and is limited to 20 amps.. The event should have enough power for all, but it is suggested that you bring a power generator as a backup.
Potable Water - provided by venue
Trash disposal – provided by venue
Ash disposal – provided by venue
Grease disposal – provided by venue
Grey water disposal – provided by venue
Team Event Size:
20x20 – If you require a larger footprint or can fit in a smaller footprint, contact the organizer.
253 Kalama River Road,