Call For Judges
Famous Dave’s Hot and Fast BBQ Competition
IN PUYALLUP, WA
EVENT DATE: FRIDAY, FEBURARY 4TH, 2022
Registration Deadline – Jan 26th, 2022
- Organizer: Saffron Hodgson
- PNWBA Board Representative: Jason Bauer
- PNWBA Head Judges: Lance Rasmussen & Stacia Norris
- Lance Rasmussen – 206-601-2337 cell / message / text. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- pending 2nd judge
• $5,000 Total Prize Pool – subject to increase depending on team signups
- Grand Champion - $750.00
- Reserve Grand Champion - $250
- 1st - $300
- 2nd - $250
- 3rd - $200
- 4th - $150
- 5th - $100
- Chicken Legs
- Pork Ribs
Washington State Fairgrounds
110 9th Avenue Southwest
Puyallup, WA 98371-6811
Entrance is via the Blue Gate (including disabled parking).
Note: The judging area this year (due to the massive space for covid spacing) is not heated. While heating solutions are being investigated, please plan to dress warmly or bring a gas heater. The location isn't fully exposed, but not heated.
Important... You must be logged into this website with your email and password in order to access the registration for the event.
At this time, we are planning on 3 judging tables, but will be adjusted based on updated team count.
As of 1/14/2022, we may be expanding to 4 tables and 4 table captains, so we encourage you to sign up on the waiting list as soon as possible.
We are looking for the following:
• 18 Judges. Judges will be selected with preference for PNWBA Certified BBQ Judges. If you are not a PNWBA CBJ but are a KCBS CBJ, then you may be placed in a volunteer position or moved to a wait list as PNWBA CBJ's are given preference.
• 3 Table Captains. Preference will be to certified as Table Captains.
• 3-5 Volunteers, i.e. Food Runners, Meat Wranglers, and general helpers.
Due to the fluid nature of this event, signing up does not guarantee a judging spot. Please be willing to volunteer as needed. Should there be a reduction in judges needed, an email will be sent to see if you would wish to volunteer.
The head judges will make the final assessment of volunteers and choose the seated judges. Tables will also be adjusted by the Head Judges at the event to try and even out the judge levels and experience.
Please sign up for the waitlist if initial spots are full. We had to use several folks from the waitlist for our past events.
Current Covid safety protocols by the state, county and facility will be observed.
For entrance - At this time, due to the number of attendees at this event, judges, table captains and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated and to provide a vaccination card. An approved alternative is to provide a negative covid test result taken within 72 hours of entry. This is similar to requirements to attend the Seahawks home games.
Masks are encouraged (and may be required at the time) when gathered (Except for eating or drinking). We want every one of our members to emerge as healthy as they arrived!
Gloves - Table Captains and other volunteers handling turn-in boxes or food require provided gloves.
Friday, February 4th, 2022.
1:45 pm- Please be at the location early and allow time for parking, entrance and finding the judging area.
2:00 pm- Judges Meeting. Table Captains and volunteer meeting follows.
- 3:00pm – Chicken
- 4:00pm – Pork Ribs
- 5:00pm – Brisket
Window is 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after each hour.
Window is 5 minutes before the hour to 5 minutes after the turn in time.
The Puyallup / Tacoma area has hotel rooms.