Feeding the Homeless - Portland 12/16/17
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dale-Cider House

USA
828 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, I am asking for your help feeding the homeless in downtown Portland on Saturday, December 16th. The location has changed from previous years. We will set up in the parking lot parallel to the East Bank Esplanade between Salmon and Main Street. There is a bronze statue of Vera Katz, a former mayor of Portland, nearby. For GPS, use the address of 5 Southeast Madison Street, Portland. The city charges $1 per hour for parking.
Thanks to the generosity of the PNWBA and others, we will have funds available to purchase warm clothing (socks, hats, gloves) to distribute to the homeless that attend our event as well as subsidize the costs of the food we are preparing and the supplies we need for serving the food.
Unless someone else volunteers, I will be cooking the ham and turkey on my trailer pit. We have donations for most of the paper supplies so what we are needing is folks to sign up for side dishes and desserts and/or to help with setup, serving and cleanup.
There are several ways you can participate in this event:
1. Volunteer to provide and/or cook from one or more of the side dishes and desserts on the menu below.
2. Volunteer to help set up, serve and/or clean up (about 3 hours of your time)
3. Volunteer to provide chairs and tables for our guests to use while they enjoy their meal
4. Donate funds or warm clothing (thick socks, hats, hand warmers, gloves, jackets, hoodies)
5. Run errands to purchase the clothing with donated/promised funds
Set-up will begin at 1pm, serving is at 2pm and clean-up should start around 3pm and takes generally less than one hour. We will plan on serving up to 60 homeless folks plus all the volunteers. Because there is good coverage at this location, we will not need canopies but tables, and especially chairs are appreciated.
Our menu is below. While not always possible, I am requesting that we minimize the use of convenience foods when we know it affects quality. For example, make mashed potatoes from real potatoes instead of instant, gravy made from stock instead of powder, stuffing from scratch instead of a box.

If you are interested in helping out, contact me, Dale Groetsema at 360-984-7571 or vancguy@hotmail.com or reply to this posting. I will set up a roll-call of volunteers and what they are providing in another posting. Check that out to see what is needed and please be flexible if I get back to you after you reply to ask for a different choice if I already have enough of that item.

What: Holiday meal served to the homeless in Portland, Oregon
Date: Saturday, December 16, 2017
Location: Vera Katz Eastbank Esplanade, between Southeast Salmon Street and Southeast Main Street on the east side of the Willamette River (5 SE Madison for GPS)
Time: 1:00 4:00 pm
Sponsor: PNWBA and Bridge of Faith Ministry

Menu: Please bring your items in disposable aluminum sized deep foil pans (one pan = 5 quarts)
Smoked turkey and ham
3 pans stuffing
3 pans green bean or other veggie (either a casserole recipe or just the veggies)
3 pans mashed potatoes
3 pans sweet potatoes
10 dozen dinner rolls and butter
3 pans cranberry sauce jellied or whole
8 pies pumpkin, pecan, fruit, cream
4 gallons juice apple, orange etc
3 gallons hot turkey gravy
4 cans whipped cream
Coffee service for 60 coffee, sugar, creamer, cups, stirrers, and equipment to make on-site
Hot chocolate and spiced cider packs for 40, cups, stirrers, and equipment to make on-site

Equipment
Serving tables (6 foot) 5
Dining tables and chairs 4 and 24

Dale Groetsema
Legends of NW BBQ
Leukemia Sucks, Too BBQ
Cider House BBQ

ptldrabbit

USA
887 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  06:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will bring 4 pies

Jane Biehl
PNWBA Head Judge
PNWBA CBJ# 200214
PNWBA President 2012 to 2017
KCBS CBJ# 53194
Go to Top of Page

Dale-Cider House

USA
828 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  08:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane we have the pies covered. Dale Southmayd is bringing pies and ham

Dale Groetsema
Legends of NW BBQ
Leukemia Sucks, Too BBQ
Cider House BBQ
Go to Top of Page

Slow Porkin

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Slow Porkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please grab a few photos of your great service! I know you don't do it for the glory but would love to post to spread the word to others that would like to help! Thanks. send to eric_mendel@hotmail.com

Eric
Slow Porkin' BBQ
http://www.thebbqproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/SlowPorkinBbq
http://www.twitter.com/SlowPorkinBbq
NW BBQ Power Rankings - http://www.thebbqproject.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2017 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page