PNWBA Events
 Barbageddon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
** moved roll call to the roll call forum.
** leaving conversation intact so it can continue in the events discussion area where it belongs.

Edited by - ckelly on 05/16/2016 4:26:53 PM

RoxxBoxxBBQ

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  1:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoxxBoxxBBQ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roxx Boxx BBQ for John Spevak
quote:
Originally posted by ckelly

Friday July 29th and Saturday July 30th

10012 122nd Street E
Puyallup, WA 98373

Head east on Meridian.
Turn RIGHT @ 122nd St inbetween KFC and Pep Boys

Website/registration:
http://www.barbageddon.com/bbq-registration.html

Confirmed teams:

1) Deep Smoke - Dennis Cummins
2) unknown - John Speak
3) unknown - Chris Burwell

John Spevak
Roxx Boxx BBQ
Go to Top of Page

OffConstantly

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swamprb

totally turned off by the tiered registration fee setup

And with a $3500 payout? lol
Go to Top of Page

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  6:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry you feel that way. Only 3 registered thus far so you should be paying the lower tier.

Go to Top of Page

JD McGee

USA
1987 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  04:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JD McGee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree with Brian...this is weird...

$160.00 for the first 5 teams to register
$175.00 for the 6-10th team to register
$190.00 for the 11th-16th team to register
$210.00 for the 17th to 25th team to register.

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,2016, & 2017
Sponsored by Kosmo's Q, MAK Grills, BBQr's Delight, Draper Valley Farms, and Ravenswood Winery!
MAK 1 Star General...
MAK 2 Star General...
MAK 3 Star General...the one to rule them all!
Go to Top of Page

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  09:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely a different approach.
Being basic services vs. all inclusive, they handlw registration fees instead of PNWBA. I can only coach them but they're free to do what they think is in the best interest of their event.
Go to Top of Page

bigbangbbq

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  12:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigbangbbq's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was interested in doing this event this year, really friendly hosts from what I remember from 2014 when it was a backyard event. This cost structure is making me think twice though, even the early bird is $10 more than last year.

It might be a tough draw given there is another bigger event the same weekend.

-Jason
Go to Top of Page

chris_schnautz

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  9:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We plan on doing this one. Appreciate all the "local" events, and would love to seem them keep going (most effective way to do this is to enter/cook them, I imagine).

The tiered steup/cost is a little different, but won't deter us from entering (we do plan to register before it gets too out of hand...$210???).

Daddy and Me BBQ
Go to Top of Page

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  09:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to approach them (again) and ask that they follow a more "traditional" tiered setup.

X dollars until a certain date, then Y dollars thereafter.

Will keep you posted.
Go to Top of Page

Slow Porkin

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  12:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Slow Porkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Still less than KCBS entries of $200 and up.

Eric
Slow Porkin' BBQ
http://www.thebbqproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/SlowPorkinBbq
http://www.twitter.com/SlowPorkinBbq
NW BBQ Power Rankings - http://www.thebbqproject.com
Go to Top of Page

JD McGee

USA
1987 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  1:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JD McGee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Slow Porkin[/i]
[br]Interesting. Still less than KCBS entries of $200 and up.

True...and there will be plenty of room for folks chasing TOY. I doubt very seriously this event will draw 25 teams to become a Jack or Royal qualifer for folks chasing bungs at those prices...especially for a $3500.00 purse...

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,2016, & 2017
Sponsored by Kosmo's Q, MAK Grills, BBQr's Delight, Draper Valley Farms, and Ravenswood Winery!
MAK 1 Star General...
MAK 2 Star General...
MAK 3 Star General...the one to rule them all!
Go to Top of Page

Bigdogphin

USA
641 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  2:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would that be the 5k Florence or the 13000k Coos Bay or the 10000k Sam's club events you are referring to? You are comparing Apples and Oranges

Jesse
Movin' The Chains BBQ Team

Go to Top of Page

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  2:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bigdogphin[/i]
[br]
quote:

Would that be the 5k Florence or the 13000k Coos Bay or the 10000k Sam's club events you are referring to? You are comparing Apples and Oranges

Quick research of 2016 KCBS events with listed prize pools under $5000 revealed:

Meat the East
$2250
33 teams
$250 registration fee

The Best Damn BBQ Contest @ Smithville Lake
$4000
53 teams
$200 registration fee

Shelby Forest Spring Fest Smokin’ in the Forest
$3360
16 teams
$250 “early registration” $275 “late registration”

Smokin Hot BBQ Nassau (4th annual)
$2200
17 teams
$175 registration fee

VFW Post 846 BBQ Challenge (8th annual)
$4500
60 teams
$175 “early” registration $200 “late” registration (also charged $30/35 for power, $75/80 for port-a-potty, $20/25 for sausage, $20/25 for dessert, $20/25 for hot wing ancillaries)

Smokin in the Ville (6th annual?)
$3500
30 teams
$160 registration fee + $35.00 for electricity

Edited by - ckelly on 05/16/2016 3:19:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bigdogphin

USA
641 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  3:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by ckelly[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bigdogphin[/i]
[br]
quote:

How about the any $2500-4000 KCBS events across the country?

I am sure those are the one Eric was referring too

Jesse
Movin' The Chains BBQ Team

Go to Top of Page

chris_schnautz

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  8:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by swamprb[/i]
[br]See you all there!

or not!

Brian, I hope so. We had a good time last year!

Enjoyed an event close enough to home that the entire gang could join us for turn ins/awards.

When we first started out it seemed like ther were several one-day events (lite cooks) that overlapped bigger two-day events. Since all I hear is that "no one wants to sponsor lite cooks" this type of event is, in my opinion, the next best thing.

Perhaps some teams may enter to "chase TOY"...and if they do maybe it will encourage a few other to enter, and join the chase.

On the other hand, perhaps this is a bit of unfortunate timing. Whistler is the bigger, more established, event. Perhaps the tradition, and the bigger prize pool, will be too much competition for this event (the real reason, JD, I think why there might not be 25 teams).

While there may be some KCBS events with a higher entry fee (and the same or smaller payout), this tiered system/cost is just not the norm here in the PNWBA. Even the early entrants are paying more than other events with a much higher prize pool. Perhaps, going forward, this could be adjusted for this one.

We do plan to cook this event (to repeat the earlier post; feel it's important to support the events closest to home). We will, however, try to register before the entry fee gets too out of hand. We are choosing to enter this one based on our own particular circumstances, and how we evaluate contests (cost, distance, time involved etc.). While it works for us, it may not work for everybody. Different strokes for different folks, after all...

Chris, thanks for working with these folks again this year (despite what looks to become much of the same conversation that was had last year surrounding this event). Looking forward to seeing you in Puyallup.

Daddy and Me BBQ
Go to Top of Page

Slow Porkin

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Slow Porkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well said there are more costs than simply entry fees to consider.

It was a well done event last year from PNWBA rep to hosts and in a good location for western WA and Oregon teams. Unfortunately, the event is on the same weekend as Whistler with the bigger prize fund.

I agree the tiered system is strange but even at the last tier entry fees of $210 is not some "crazy" expensive price and less than KCBS events in the area typically go for. It is comparable as prize money has little to do with costs of putting on and hosting a BBQ event.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by chris_schnautz[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by swamprb[/i]
[br]See you all there!

or not!

Brian, I hope so. We had a good time last year!

Enjoyed an event close enough to home that the entire gang could join us for turn ins/awards.

When we first started out it seemed like ther were several one-day events (lite cooks) that overlapped bigger two-day events. Since all I hear is that "no one wants to sponsor lite cooks" this type of event is, in my opinion, the next best thing.

Perhaps some teams may enter to "chase TOY"...and if they do maybe it will encourage a few other to enter, and join the chase.

On the other hand, perhaps this is a bit of unfortunate timing. Whistler is the bigger, more established, event. Perhaps the tradition, and the bigger prize pool, will be too much competition for this event (the real reason, JD, I think why there might not be 25 teams).

While there may be some KCBS events with a higher entry fee (and the same or smaller payout), this tiered system/cost is just not the norm here in the PNWBA. Even the early entrants are paying more than other events with a much higher prize pool. Perhaps, going forward, this could be adjusted for this one.

We do plan to cook this event (to repeat the earlier post; feel it's important to support the events closest to home). We will, however, try to register before the entry fee gets too out of hand. We are choosing to enter this one based on our own particular circumstances, and how we evaluate contests (cost, distance, time involved etc.). While it works for us, it may not work for everybody. Different strokes for different folks, after all...

Chris, thanks for working with these folks again this year (despite what looks to become much of the same conversation that was had last year surrounding this event). Looking forward to seeing you in Puyallup.

Eric
Slow Porkin' BBQ
Go to Top of Page

Toddo

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  7:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I still sign up or how much it cost can I pay cash when I show up

Todd Oglesbee
Go to Top of Page

the_big_swede1

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  6:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit the_big_swede1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Todd - you can register with the organizer at: http://www.barbageddon.com/bbq-registration.html

I don't know if you can pay cash at the door - you'd have to work that out with them.

Erik Lindeblom
CBJ#200665
Big Swede's BBQ Team
"Låt dem äta kött!"
Go to Top of Page

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  8:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm schedule to have a call with them tomorrow, will run it by them and let you know.

- Chris
Go to Top of Page

MADDOG

South Sandwich Islands
1201 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  12:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've probably missed it somewhere.... Schedule? Load-in start time, etc? thanks pjm

Pat "Maddog" Maddock

"We must embrace our inner poultry." (It's a Zen BBQ thang)
Go to Top of Page

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  1:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG

I've probably missed it somewhere.... Schedule? Load-in start time, etc? thanks pjm

I'll be on site at 8:00am to start load in.
Site inspections at 3:00pm
Cooks meeting at 6:00pm

Will post this in the roll call too.
Go to Top of Page

Slow Porkin

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  10:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Slow Porkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting case study with this event on how timing and location can really drive attendance. It was a great event last year but I am personally shocked how fast this filled. It goes to show many factors involved in filling an event.

Eric
Slow Porkin' BBQ
Go to Top of Page

knutliott

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slow Porkin
It goes to show many factors involved in filling an event.

Location, location, location!

I'm surprised how much it has grown this year, too. Gotta figure that 1 hour south of Seattle vs 5+ hours north of Seattle gives it a big advantage over Whistler.

Glenn Elliott
PNWBA 2017-2018 Board of Directors
PNWBA Master Judge
PNWBA member# 101443
PNWBA CBJ# 200929
KCBS CBJ# 77709
Go to Top of Page

pnwbatreasurer

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  9:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Whister is much of a factor. If you look at the team list for Whistler last year and Puyallup this year there is hardly any overlap. (I think only 1 team) Most of the field last year was Canadian.
Go to Top of Page

swamprb

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  03:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knutliott

quote:
Originally posted by Slow Porkin
It goes to show many factors involved in filling an event.

Location, location, location!

I'm surprised how much it has grown this year, too. Gotta figure that 1 hour south of Seattle vs 5+ hours north of Seattle gives it a big advantage over Whistler.

The Whistler Prize Package is $7K CDN = $5388.35 US with a $99 entry fee + $50 cleaning deposit, but where else can you have bears wander through the site???

Brian Moriarty
Former PNWBA Board Member, CBJ/KCBS CBJ
Left Hand Smoke 2010 PNWBA Team of the Year
Hobbyist Competitive Cook & CBJ since 2007

Cooking on a Backwoods Gater, Weber Smokey Mountains, Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smoker clones, Cajun Bandit kettle conversions, Cookshack 008, Weber Performer, Genesis, Q & Kettles, La Caja China #2, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna Cold Smoker, Roastin' and toastin' on the Weber 1000/RK Drum Coffee Roaster, Vintage Kamado restoration hack.
*******Visit our supporters for 2016********

Oakridge BBQ
US BBQ Supply & Smoky Okie Rubs and Injections
Butcher Shop Cafe
Plowboys BBQ
Big Green Egg courtesy of AES
Mojobricks
Cajun Bandit
The Briner
Rib-O-Lator
Smoke Daddy/Pellet Pro
Hunsaker Smokers
Smokerbuilder.com
BBQ Smoker Supply
BBQ Gaskets.com

If I'm not competin', I'm smokin' and grillin'! Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Hand-Smoke/116187658462391?sk=wall

Stay Hungry!

Edited by - swamprb on 06/30/2016 03:38:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

ckelly

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit ckelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swamprb
The Whistler Prize Package is $7K CDN = $5388.35 US with a $99 entry fee + $50 cleaning deposit, but where else can you have bears wander through the site???

Cleaning deposit?
That's a first!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2017 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000