Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General BBQ Discussions
 BBQ Central
 What's a good pellet smoker for competition?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2Bullies

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  12:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had Treagers, cant seem to get enough smoke in the product...Are there any good pellet smokers designed for competition? Any suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks,
Marv Bennett

Smokey Dick

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  5:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Smokey Dick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm impressed with J.D.'s Mak Grills!

http://www.makgrills.com/

Go to Top of Page

JD McGee

USA
1986 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  5:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JD McGee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Get a MAK!

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,2016, & 2017
Sponsored by Kosmo's Q, MAK Grills, BBQr's Delight, Draper Valley Farms, and Ravenswood Winery!
MAK 1 Star General...
MAK 2 Star General...
MAK 3 Star General...the one to rule them all!
Go to Top of Page

Bigdogphin

USA
641 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  7:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yoder YS640 or YS1320 or cookshack Fec 100 or 120 or Mak 2 star

All of these I would consider competition grade smokers and are of good quality.

Jesse
Movin' The Chains BBQ Team

Go to Top of Page

cheztim

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had good luck with my Traegers after I added a "Smoke Daddy" to one of them. It seems the long cook meats turn out ok, but the short cook stuff, like chicken & ribs, need the extra kick.
Go to Top of Page

MADDOG

South Sandwich Islands
1201 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  10:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
COOKSHACK, years ago, designed a pellet pooper specifically FOR competition BBQ and their advisor was a fella by the name of Fast Eddie Maurin, who had been champion of about... damned near... almost... pert 'near... essentially... 'bout every damned thing! What emerged was the Fast Eddie 100. It's a staple from state to state in the world of competition BBQ. Many variations have been created but the Fast Eddie Cooker is still to be found, old ones and new ones at most every competition in North America and lots of 'em. I did a fair amount of research about mid-size cookers and, as a Traeger Model 75 owner, I concluded that the FEC 100 was where I wanted to go but not until I could find a damned good used one for the right price. I recently did and I have been putting it through it's paces, competing, cooking at home, catering multiple events, etc... I'm more pleased than I even expected to be. OK nuff from me. DON'T listen to just one or two of us. We will most all push what we use. Very many folks will have their own perspective and you'll find that different units please different people as they are all looking for somewhat different things. It's your turn to go do your own research. When you're done, choose what YOU like as so many of us have done. Enjoy the process. It will be very informative.

Pat "Maddog" Maddock

"We must embrace our inner poultry." (It's a Zen BBQ thang)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2017 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000