PNWBA Events
 FIRE EXTINGUISHERS - PLEASE READ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Raven

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Raven's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please remember everyone, fire extinguishers are required at all PNWBA events, whether or not the local fire code for the event location requires them (pretty much they all do, though). Fire extinguishers MUST be rated (at a minimum) 2A40BC or 3A40BC.

Fire extinguishers MUST be current. By current we mean three things:
1) Purchased within the last year with receipt proof of purchase
2) Serviced / certified within the last year with proof of service tag
3) Have the needle in the green on the gauge. Remember - just because it has been less than a year since the extinguisher was serviced / purchased, it still may be out of a charge.

Check your extinguisher before the season starts rolling. Get them purchased / serviced if needed! Remember - head judges will inspect your extinguisher at each event.

******************** PLEASE NOTE FOR SEATTLE EVENTS ****************

The Fire Marshall has started checking our calendar to see what events are happening in the city. This means that the inspector WILL be at Home Depot this weekend. If you do not have a valid fire extinguisher and you are cooking this event, go into the store as soon as you get there AND BUY ONE! Better yet, buy it before you even arrive.

We have been notified that if the inspector has to wait for you to acquire a valid extinguisher, the PNWBA WILL be fined! I can promise you that the board will pass the fine to the team(s) who incurred it.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Anthony P. James
Raven's Fyre BBQ
The Taste Will Bring Out The Pig In You!

Smokin Nations

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice Anthony. Fyi, after so many years, the fire extinguisher can no longer be "visually inspected" and has to be hydro pressure tested. That's the time to get a new one. After a fire in a contest in Missouri, I now carry three extinguishers.
Go to Top of Page

swamprb

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....'nuff said!

Brian Moriarty
Former PNWBA Board Member, CBJ/KCBS CBJ
Left Hand Smoke 2010 PNWBA Team of the Year
Hobbyist Competitive Cook & CBJ since 2007

Cooking on a Backwoods Gater, Weber Smokey Mountains, Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smoker clones, Cajun Bandit kettle conversions, Cookshack 008, Weber Performer, Genesis, Q & Kettles, La Caja China #2, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna Cold Smoker, Roastin' and toastin' on the Weber 1000/RK Drum Coffee Roaster, Vintage Kamado restoration hack.
*******Visit our supporters for 2016********

Oakridge BBQ
US BBQ Supply & Smoky Okie Rubs and Injections
Butcher Shop Cafe
Plowboys BBQ
Big Green Egg courtesy of AES
Mojobricks
Cajun Bandit
The Briner
Rib-O-Lator
Smoke Daddy/Pellet Pro
Hunsaker Smokers
Smokerbuilder.com
BBQ Smoker Supply
BBQ Gaskets.com

If I'm not competin', I'm smokin' and grillin'! Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Hand-Smoke/116187658462391?sk=wall

Stay Hungry!
Go to Top of Page

Nate

6 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  10:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Fire extinguishers MUST be current. By current we mean three things:
1) Purchased within the last year with receipt proof of purchase
2) Serviced / certified within the last year with proof of service tag
3) Have the needle in the green on the gauge. Remember - just because it has been less than a year since the extinguisher was serviced / purchased, it still may be out of a charge."

For clarification, this is a any of the above deal? I.e., rated 3A40BC, needle is still in the green on the gauge, no certificate of inspection within 1 year or receipt you are good to go?
Go to Top of Page

Raven

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  11:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Raven's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Nate.

It is actually a (1 or 2) and 3. So it has to have been purchased or serviced within the last year, and show a good charge on the gauge.

Hope that helps!

Anthony P. James
Raven's Fyre BBQ
The Taste Will Bring Out The Pig In You!
Go to Top of Page

BackyardBum

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  8:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this needs to be stressed AGAIN ! at last weeks event in Vancouver there were 5 (out of 13) teams that had ...issues... concerning their extinguishers . Fortunatly, there were ample extinguishers available ,
but current tags or reciepts need to be addressed before the season begins folks !
Go to Top of Page

Dale-Cider House

USA
828 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  9:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YIKES!! I did not know that was a problem last Saturday. I do have contact info for a company that will do on-site inspections, etc that I may call upon at our next event in our area

Dale Groetsema
Legends of NW BBQ
Leukemia Sucks, Too BBQ
Cider House BBQ
Go to Top of Page

bestfriends

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  2:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you get your Fire extinguishers serviced???
Go to Top of Page

Gregg Fujino

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  4:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look under "Fire Extinguishers" in the yellow pages of the phone book. Call a few places that are close to your travels as the price for servicing can vary.
Go to Top of Page

JD McGee

USA
1989 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  5:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit JD McGee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quick question...our extinguisher was serviced last in June 2012...is it still good for June 2013 or has it expired?
Thanks,
JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,2016, & 2017
Sponsored by Kosmo's Q, MAK Grills, BBQr's Delight, Draper Valley Farms, and Ravenswood Winery!
MAK 1 Star General...
MAK 2 Star General...
MAK 3 Star General...the one to rule them all!
Go to Top of Page

Gregg Fujino

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  6:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My tag from Oregon says void 1 year from month punched. If punched last June it should be void this June. Not sure about Washington but best to get it done first thing on the way out tomorrow before McKinley.
Go to Top of Page

JD McGee

USA
1989 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  06:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JD McGee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine says pretty much the same...thanks Greg!

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,2016, & 2017
Sponsored by Kosmo's Q, MAK Grills, BBQr's Delight, Draper Valley Farms, and Ravenswood Winery!
MAK 1 Star General...
MAK 2 Star General...
MAK 3 Star General...the one to rule them all!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2017 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000