Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Forum Administration

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dnew Posted - 04/19/2013 : 9:19:49 PM

By way of introduction, I am Don New and I reside in Lacey, WA. I am a new member of PNWBA and have completed the PNWBA Judging Class and am scheduled to judge for the first time at the WA State Championship in Monroe on Apr 28. I am also scheduled next month to take the KCBS Judging Class and judge my first event for that organization.

I am retiring full time this summer and hope to become an active member of PNWBA. I enjoy clubs associated with my interest and have experience in other clubs with which I have membership. I enjoy BBQ but I have not come to the conclusion that I want to compete. I would consider assisting on a comp team should the opportunity avail itself but judging is what I first want to accomplish.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I look forward to meeting each and everyone of you.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JD McGee Posted - 05/17/2013 : 12:55:11 PM
Fancy meeting you here! Lol! See ya in Cloverdale Don!
dnew Posted - 05/17/2013 : 08:03:13 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and yes, I would love to spend time with competing teams to better understand the competition process from their side of the fence. I, in no way know all there is to know about BBQ and for sure could learn much, much more about competition. Once I am out of the NOOB stage of judging, I would welcome an invite to work with one or more teams through a weekend of competing. Again, thanks for the welcome and I look forward to meeting all and having a wonderful time in the PNWBA.
MADDOG Posted - 04/23/2013 : 3:50:23 PM
Welcome aboard, Don. I'll echo Tom Wallin's words. I believe the most effective judge is a cooking judge. We'll get comment cards from judges from time to time which clearly demonstrate that they don't know what they are tasting. Cooking judges don't have that problem. They've been told what they are tasting and when they get it at the judge's table, it makes sense because they understand. The more informed you can be as a judge, the more effecitve you are. Guessing why something tastes "that way" doesn't cut it. As you might conclude, I'm a cooking judge. I enjoy both sides of the process and one doesn't work without the other. So, thanks for stepping up and again, Welcome aboard! Have fun!
Curtzo Posted - 04/23/2013 : 09:03:37 AM
Welcome Don!
TomW Posted - 04/19/2013 : 11:24:38 PM
Welcome to the PNWBA. I am happy to hear that you are judging in Monroe. Be sure to stop by and introduce yourself. If you want to know what is it like to compete,to to help a team at an event. Most would welcome the help. It will give you a better perspective as a judge.
Pappavitto Posted - 04/19/2013 : 11:07:00 PM
Welcome to the PNWBA Don.

© 2018 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000