Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Forum Administration
 Welcome
 Hello from NE Oregon!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PorkDork Posted - 04/16/2013 : 7:19:10 PM
My name's Jesse Davidson and I've been an addict for going on 3 years now. It all started with my 30th birthday present which was a trip to MIM. My, now fiance, and I had a blast and I've been a backyard BBQ connoisseur ever since. My speciality is pork butt in my homemade UDS. But I love to eat anything smoked. This summer my goal is to compete in at least one competition, and hopefully not finish dead last! I've never competed before so I'm looking for advice and hopefully some new friends to help me along the way!

I think at this point I'm looking forward to CDA's Bike Brews and BBQ as my first competition.

I also would be interested in possibly helping out any team in need before and/or after the CD'A event to gain some hands on experience. So if you or someone you know is looking to take on an apprentice PLEASE let me know!

Thanks for reading all this if you haven't given up already and I look forward to new friendships and a whole lot of smoked meat!!!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PorkDork Posted - 04/23/2013 : 8:28:28 PM
Thanks for the invite MADDOG! I'm thinking my fiancÚ and I are going to try and make it up for the weekend. We're going to be in Vegas the weekend before so I'm hoping we have enough energy to make it. I think it would be a good idea to come to a PNWBA to experience a competition before actually competing. I'm going to drop you a line to talk about it a little beforehand. Thank you everyone!!
MADDOG Posted - 04/18/2013 : 7:41:53 PM
Welcome Jesse - Jane, the gal who has been conversing with you, is our President and a Head Judge. She doesn't compete but she's a friend to all competitors. As for signing on to experience a weekend competition or two or three before you tackle it head on and spend money on it, if you are interested, my team will be competing in Oregon the weekend of July 20th at Molalla. (mapquest it) It's a great event in a nice park with TALL shade trees and the hosts are just super. Not the biggest money event but that's not why we come back every year. We will be fully engaged that weekend competing in Dutch Oven on Sat and BBQ on Sunday. If you decide to join us for the weekend, you'll experience a LOT. My wife Christine and I are MADDOG'S BBQ. We always have a good time. We will be pulling our competition trailer (enclosed cargo trailer and we set up cots and sleeping bags in that or I set my cot out under one of our canopies). You would be welcome to occupy a canopy or bring a tent. Whatever you like. There are two styles of competition cooking that are both widespread in this and other associations. Low & Slow or Hot n Fast. We are Hot n Fast cooks. Briskets and Butts in 6 hours, Ribs in 5, Chicken in 2. We can discuss more about all of this later but you might want to do a comp with a Low & Slow team then do one with a Hot n Fast team. It will show you some contrasting but equally successful styles. So, long time to plan but the offer is out there. I'm at patmaddock@cbbain.com if you want to explore this idea some more. And again, WELCOME!
ptldrabbit Posted - 04/18/2013 : 7:37:17 PM
Isn't much of an option other than camping up at the event. Or the long drive up and down the hill into Sunnyside or Prossor for a motel. There should be room to pitch your tent up there. Self contained RV's are allowed if you got one.

I will be there but I'm not on a team, I'm a judge. Any teams who will be there willing to give Jesse an idea what he will be getting himself into?
PorkDork Posted - 04/18/2013 : 7:13:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ptldrabbit

Welcome Jesse!

I know it would be some mileage for you but if you took one of our pitmaster classes, either in Yakima or Portland in May you would gain some very useful information. Another long drive but if your able to make it, come up to the competition at McKinley Springs Winery. We might be able to find you a team or two to hang out with.

I would love to come up to the McKinley Springs Event. Prosser isn't all that far away. Does anybody camp up there at the event? Is your team going to be up there? I would love to get to see how it's all done and It might be a good idea to see what I'm getting myself into before I take the plunge!
PorkDork Posted - 04/18/2013 : 7:09:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Curtzo

Welcome Jesse!
A UDS cooker, huh? I am in the middle of building one myself. A lot more work than I thought. Just a mater on finding the time and cooperation from mother nature...

I LOVE my UDS! I've made some killer Q in that ugly old thing! Why as a matter of fact, today I took and angle grinder to it and cleaned all the old rust/paint/sauce off the outside. I'm going to try and get some high-temp paint off of Amazon to match my truck. Candy red, we'll see though, it's got so many dents and dings, it might just end up matte black again. You should post a build thread somewhere online so I could see it! Good luck with the build!!
Curtzo Posted - 04/16/2013 : 9:40:30 PM
Welcome Jesse!

I joined just recently (about two months ago) and can say that you are definitely in the right place and doing the right thing.

I have met many great people and have learned a lot. Head to some other competitions and introduce yourself. Amazing what you can learn.

A UDS cooker, huh? I am in the middle of building one myself. A lot more work than I thought. Just a mater on finding the time and cooperation from mother nature...

Welcome again!

CM
Bigdogphin Posted - 04/16/2013 : 9:01:54 PM
Welcome aboard.....

Check this out http://pnwba.com/events/2013/2013.cook.or.portland.woodstock.pdf
PorkDork Posted - 04/16/2013 : 7:59:40 PM
Thank you Jane! I've been thinking about the McKinley Springs Event as another possible competition to enter. What is all involved with the PNWBA Pit Master class?
ptldrabbit Posted - 04/16/2013 : 7:43:06 PM
Welcome Jesse!

I know it would be some mileage for you but if you took one of our pitmaster classes, either in Yakima or Portland in May you would gain some very useful information. Another long drive but if your able to make it, come up to the competition at McKinley Springs Winery. We might be able to find you a team or two to hang out with.

© 2018 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000