Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 PNWBA Judging
 Judges Call
 Website redesign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pnwba Posted - 02/25/2012 : 2:50:12 PM
A suggestion was made to cross post this thread over in this forum in the event there are judges that only ever read this area. Judges, what are your thoughts and requests for the website redesign?

Specifically for judges I am working on:
>> Automated event sign-ups
>> Call for judges e-mail
>> Automated judged events counts.
(No more having to guess how many events you have judged)

How can I make this website better serve you?
What features in this site would help our judges?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JackofRacks Posted - 08/01/2016 : 08:30:18 AM
I would like to see the posts listed in reverse order of what they are now with the latest post listed first so we don't have to scroll through several pages to keep up to date.
In addition, an original post date in the Judges Call event title.
Thanks
TUJ Posted - 07/07/2015 : 3:56:33 PM
It would be helpful if, on the call for judges, you could remove the events that are already over.
dnew Posted - 08/20/2013 : 7:43:55 PM
I think that postings for judging opportunities should be posted at a specific time on a specific day each week. If a judge is interested in an event then they need to check each week on or after the known posting time and post their interest. I also think that judging assignments should be requested by only the judge involved with the possible exception being that a significant other could request an assignment for their partner. I think NO ONE should be given a 'heads-up' advance notification on judging assignments. Let's level the playing field so that all have the same opportunity. I don't mind a little competition to show my interest.
knutliott Posted - 08/19/2013 : 8:46:44 PM
Jeff - my email comes to my phone and notifies me as soon as it arrives. It's a "push" notification. The web site requires me to log in and click through the menus to check to see if there's been a new post. That's a "pull" notification, and they're much less efficient.
jeffwestlund Posted - 08/19/2013 : 6:32:04 PM
I guess I do not see the benefit of an email blast. Rather than checking the forum several times a day you would be checking email instead. If you want the judges to be more engaged then keeping track of what is going on the web site is going to provide much more information. just my 2
knutliott Posted - 08/19/2013 : 4:47:59 PM
I would like to see an email blast sent out for Judges calls. Yes, the current process does serve as a "genuine interest" filter, but it's also needlessly time consuming for judges. For example, Juarez Canyon had 15 judges sign up in less than 3 hours. I was one of the last to get in and I signed up 14 hours after the call was posted. It's a bit crazy to expect judges to check the website 3-4 times per day when there's very little other reason to do so (we don't have THAT much traffic).

I also think that an email blast when the calls go out would help encourage people to be more engaged, because it would put something in their inbox to remind them several times a year. To avoid spamming people who aren't interested, it would also be great if the judges call emails were opt-in. Ideally on an event-by-event basis, but just one general opt-in would be fine.

Adding Tapatalk support for the forums would be another helpful feature, but I don't know whether or not it is supported by Snitz Forums. Tapatalk makes it much easier to use online forums on a smartphone.
maximus Posted - 08/19/2013 : 3:30:01 PM
I agree with Colin. I think checking regularly to see if a new judges call gets posted helps contribute to me being engaged with the website. I like Colin's term "Genuine Interest Filter". Hopefully people are participating online as well to contribute to the community.

I looked through the the judge sign ups for this year and there were only 3 competitions that filled up under a week and there were still room for other volunteers. I am not sure that necessitates a structure change to Judge calls.
colinbradley Posted - 04/30/2013 : 10:20:16 PM
I am personally in favor of the way judging is signed up right now.

I have to echo Yung's comments against a bulk or automated signup.

I would like to add the point that currently, the sign up method favors people actively involved the the PNWBA on-goings. I think the way it is set up seems to be an an effective filter for genuine interest; a good thing in my opinion.

As someone with extensive experience in web development, I would not advise that a custom judge signup is worth developing given that the current method already exists and has the effective benefit of the above mentioned "filter". (wow that sentence sure didn't read very recreational)

I missed a judging call last year, for the BBQ on the bypass. I was choked at the time. My point above remains for me. Genuine Interest Filter :)

My two cents. OK maybe 72 cents :)

Cheers Everyone.

Colin
D from GA Posted - 02/24/2013 : 03:00:06 AM
I'm delighted to read the above suggestions and comments. I concur with all statements above. The RSS feed would be very helpful.
mimarcu Posted - 02/12/2013 : 09:32:25 AM
When you say "automated sign ups", how do you foresee this process will work?
RWCharp Posted - 02/03/2013 : 12:20:33 PM
One thing i would like to see is that judges who have there membership dues up to date be given preference over those that do not when being chosen to judge an event. Also auto sign up would be good if the person is notified at the time of sign up and given time to respond yay or ney!
RWCharp Posted - 05/30/2012 : 11:14:50 PM
All Excellent suggestions I agree with
kneznanski Posted - 03/27/2012 : 10:04:31 AM
Hopefully I'm not repeating other comments, but the number one thing I wish for on this website was an option to receive email updates when a call for judges is posted. This is the main area I frequent on this site, but it's a bummer that if you don't check this forum all the time you miss out on signing up. I completely understand the need to wait to have sign ups until you have a better idea of how many teams you have, I only wish there was a way to receive email notification that a new "call for judges" has been posted. This also may be accomplished with an RSS feed for Call for judges only?

It would also be great if you could sign up for email updates to comment streams. For example if you ask a question you could get an email when people respond. I know other websites have that option when you comment on a post.

And it would be nice if your profile included a list of what events you've judged in the past, how close you are to other categories of judges and your membership status. For example my membership expired last year and I didn't even know it. :)

I'm excited for the redesign and for this years events!
ptldrabbit Posted - 03/27/2012 : 08:43:40 AM
You will find the judge sign ups right here under the judges tab. Usually they will be listed with the name of the event plus Call for Judges. As the events approach, the Head Judge of that event will post the call.

Look forward to seeing you at the judges table!

Jane

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.BBQ

[
Dear administrator,
I am a NOOB and am having problems finding the Judge's corner or where to sign up for upcoming events. I could use a little help in this area. You can call me if you like 503 708 7475.
Thank YouTerry (Mr.BBQ)

Mr.BBQ Posted - 03/27/2012 : 08:02:48 AM
[
Dear administrator,
I am a NOOB and am having problems finding the Judge's corner or where to sign up for upcoming events. I could use a little help in this area. You can call me if you like 503 708 7475.
Thank YouTerry (Mr.BBQ)
Mr.BBQ Posted - 03/27/2012 : 07:58:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pnwba

A suggestion was made to cross post this thread over in this forum in the event there are judges that only ever read this area. Judges, what are your thoughts and requests for the website redesign?

Specifically for judges I am working on:
>> Automated event sign-ups
>> Call for judges e-mail
>> Automated judged events counts.
(No more having to guess how many events you have judged)

How can I make this website better serve you?
What features in this site would help our judges?

yung Posted - 03/17/2012 : 4:41:40 PM
Dear administrator,

I have been judging for many years and I think all your sugguestions are great.

The only one that concerns me slightly is the automated sign-up. It would look bad for me to be signed up without my knowledge and then for me to miss the event because I didn't know I was supposed to be there. Secondly, because my day job can be unpredictable sometimes, I would like to sign up no more than 6 weeks prior to the event date. If the judges sign-up list is released too long before that, I'm afraid that it might be impossible for me to secure a spot ever again because by the time I figure out my work rotation, the judges spots would all be filled.

Thank you for asking for our input and thank you for listening.

Cheers,
Yung.

bingo1912 Posted - 03/01/2012 : 6:05:59 PM
It would be nice to see how many events you have judged, other than that I don't have any complaints,,, :)
Todd Evans Posted - 02/26/2012 : 8:35:57 PM
I like the suggestions.

Paul I know one reason the list goes up late is that the head judge is waiting on the teams to sign up, so they know how many judges are needed. I know it makes it hard to plan, however. Even if you don't get seated to judge, volunteers are always needed, so you could just plan on being there. That is what I do.

Todd
Upscale Posted - 02/26/2012 : 6:10:45 PM
Would be nice if there was a way for judges to sign up for a bunch of the events early so they can plan their summer based on that, and not have to wait week to week to see when a sign up is opening up. I know it would making my summer planning much easier. Just a thought.

© 2018 Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000